Autumn Newsletter - Year 6
Dear Parents/Carers and children,
Welcome to Year 6!
We hope that you have all had a lovely summer holiday and are eager to get stuck into the new school year ahead. This year is an important one in terms of work and new challenges for us all, and will be a fun one too. We aim to make the curriculum as creative as possible, enabling the children to succeed in their personal targets and enjoy their last year of Coleham School.
Our cross-curricular topic this term is geography based. As well as becoming more familiar with the world’s continents and oceans, we will be focussing on South America and comparing the physical and human geography of countries in this diverse and fascinating continent. We will also be looking at some of the ancient cultures from the Americas, such as the Mayans.
Our art will draw inspiration from the rainforest and also from the Mayan civilisation.
Here are a few quick reminders of what your child needs to bring to school:
- PE will be on Thursdays (outdoor) and Fridays (indoor), so please remember PE kits on these days. Please ensure that outdoor PE kit includes trainers, tracksuit bottoms and a long-sleeved top. Remember that timetables can change, so it would be useful to have PE kits handy throughout the week.
- Pens and pencils etc. are provided, but if your child wants to bring their own equipment then please MAKE SURE EVERYTHING IS LABELLED AND IN A SUITABLY SIZED PENCIL CASE.
- Reading is extremely important and we expect every child to read a little each night. They may choose a book from school or from home and should record their reading in their reading diaries. Reading diaries will be checked on a Friday and we will expect to see at least five entries recorded (including one extended entry). When possible, please hear your child read and make your own comments in their diaries – We cannot stress how important hearing your child read is, even if you are confident of your child’s reading ability. Talking about texts unlocks many skills that are very difficult to acquire without discussion.
- Spellings will be sent home each week and spelling tests will take place on Fridays.
- Times tables will be tested on a weekly basis. Please practise these with your child at home as this knowledge will help them in many areas of their maths learning.
Please feel free to speak to us if you have any questions whatsoever about anything (to do with school).
Thanks for your support and help,
Mrs M Morgan and Mr K Edwards